Nitrogen is probably the most useful of all the elements to plants. It's important for good leaf development and color and is at the heart of foliage ornamentals and crop plants. Translation: Miracle-Gro works. (But is it safe?) But nitrogen is kind of like chocolate, too much of it is a bad thing. [This is why my stomach is hurting right now, I just polished off the girls Easter baskets and I feel sick.) But a little bit of dark chocolate is good for me, just not that much. Nitrogen in plants is like that chocolate, too much and poof...it actually weakens the plants and, in flowering plants and fruiting crops can actually hinder the formation of buds and fruit.