- Doesn't attract rodents, raccoons, rats, dogs, mice and keeps other pests out.
- Quicker than other outdoor composts methods like bins and compost heaps. I'm results-oriented and want to see compost in 4-6 weeks not 4-6 months or even years.
- Fully sealed container can be rotated to mix the composting materials. By mixing the hot composting material with the recently added material, you introduce microbial activity to help break down the newer scraps.
- Can compost year-round due to the higher internal temperature of drum. The sealed container helps contain the heat generated by the composting process.
- Compost is in one designated spot, it's neat & enclosed. Barrel blends in with the yard so it's ideal for residential areas. And it's odor-free.
- Because compost breaks down, even when you think the bin is full, the volume does reduce itself over time. So as your watermelon rinds and newspaper break down, you can keep adding green and brown materials.
Compost Wizard Dual Senior Tumbler VS The Compost Wizard Jr.
Best of all, they come fully assembled! You literally roll the composter out of the box and choose a location to start composting immediately. It comes with two pieces - the compost bin and the compost base. There is virtually no maintenance. I've seen plenty of composters that are much more expensive and that take hours of time to assemble. The simplicity of these models amaze me.
Compost Wizard Dual Senior
Compost Wizard Jr.
So a huge plus to the Compost Wizard Jr. is the simplicity of the one chamber. It's much lighter to churn. Older people or those who are a bit weaker may struggle to rotate the larger composter. And it's true (and the company did tell us this) the Dual Senior is overkill for most households. The 7 cubic foot capacity is more than sufficient for your needs. However, a community garden center, restaurant, country dweller or those with huge yards might prefer the bigger composter.
Another great advantage to the Compost Wizard Jr. is the wheeled base the compost bin sits on. It's amazing how you can roll the bin right off this base and around your yard to exactly where you want to dump the compost. Technically, you can do the same with the Compost Wizard Dual Senior, but I'm not strong enough to roll it off the base alone. The lid on the Compost Wizard Jr. is also two inches bigger than the two lids on the Compost Wizard Dual Senior making it easier to scoop out compost.
If you've never considered a compost tumbler, get on board because it's incredibly easy. It's awesome to be able to take kitchen and yard scraps that would just get thrown out and to turn it into nutrient-rich compost that you can distribute around the yard and garden.
- The biggest challenge is just finding that balance between green and brown compost. My compost tends to be too wet, so I find that I need to add more brown ingredients for balance. It won't take long to strike a balance between your green and brown additions.
- You also want to make sure you don't fill the bin more than 2/3 full. It says on the company instruction sheet to churn once a week, but we like to give it a spin morning and night as once a week is just not enough.
- If either compost tumbler isn't placed on level, secure ground, it's not going to churn well. Make sure you choose your location wisely. Since we live in the Northeast, we have cooler weather and placed both composters where they receive direct sunlight 6 hours a day. The heat does help break down the compost.
- Bugs do swarm this inside of the drums, fruit flies and small flying gnats. But they don't bother me as they are outside my home.
- Their products are well-made, practical and function to perfection.
- They were incredibly nice to work with. Knowledgeable. Able and willing to answer my questions.
- The videos on their site are amazingly helpful. I watched the composter videos and gleaned all the info I needed right there to use the products correctly.
- Great service and delivery. Shipping was super quick!
- You can order their products online, but they can also be purchased at Sam's Club and Tractor Supply Plus. And who doesn't love TSP? Heading there tonight actually.
- I like this company so much that I liked them under my personal Facebook name. That says a lot right there!
Win your choice of composter either:
1.) the Compost Wizard Jr. (valued at $160)
2.) The Compost Wizard Dual Senior (valued at $300)
- Enter by leaving a comment telling us what you like most about these composters.
- See below for a chance to earn additional entries
- Official Giveaway Rules
1) Like our Facebook Page.
2) Become an e-mail subscriber using the green bar at the top of our site.
Already did? Let us know.
3-5) Comment on our Facebook Page telling us what your favorite plastic product is. Like and Share as well. CLICK HERE.
6) Like Good Ideas Facebook Page.
7) Share this post. How to make Compost Tea
Let us know in the comment section what you did to earn extra entries.