Contemporary. Chic. Sleek. Growing green is trendy. Use containers. Try pots. Consider raised beds. Even grow carts. Small scale gardening for urban dwellers and all alike is the new wave. No longer do you have to be a homeowner with lots of land to garden. You can live in a townhouse, condo, small apartment or mansion from New York City to Guam and still be green. All are welcome to try their hand because all you need is a tiny bit of space and a big imagination. We are so excited to be partnering with Eartheasy again because they are giving away a swoon-worthy Herstera wheeled metal trolley. Salad garden? Guacamole garden? Salsa garden? How about growing onions on your porch, patio, deck or balcony? To enter, LIKE Raise Your Garden on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest. For two entries, do both! Let us know in the comment section what you've done. And we'd love to hear what you'll be planting this year. And Canada, you are welcome to enter too!
Be sure to check out our giveaways page for other awesome garden giveaways we have going on right now!
- Prevents soil compaction
- No strenuous digging in heavy soil
- Less bending over
- You control the soil quality (soil is more easily replaced, especially in a pot)
- Easier planting, weeding, harvesting
- Efficient, intensive use of soil and added nutrients such as compost
- Portability - your metal trolley in on wheels! Pots can be moved inside.
- Portability helps you control the sun and water. Just wheel in and out of the elements as needed.
You've assembled your trolley. Now what? Make sure you only fill it with quality potting soil or growing mix. In containers, the quality and health of the soil mix is vital. Plants in containers are super dependent on the soil in which they grow because the roots have less area to explore in the confines of a pot. Those roots are your priority. Don't just dump in your outside soil and cross your fingers! Plus, garden soil harbors disease-causing organisms that can devastate container plantings; not to mention weeds and insect eggs.
You can buy soil or growing mix at your local nursery or garden center but I make my own. Last time, Eartheasy sent me their rolling cedar patio planter and I filled it with this mix which turned out to be a much cheaper alternative than purchased soil. It had a ton of air space which is critical for container plants. The soil worked wonderfully too, the plants really thrived!
When filling your pot, leave 2-3 inches at the top to leave room to shuffle the dirt around when you plant. You might want to add a slow-release or granular fertilizer so plants will have all their required nutrients readily available.
This planter has an 8 inch depth. So your cart will best accommodate shallow-rooted varieties of vegetables, herbs and flowers. This isn't the place to grow your pumpkins or tomatoes. Besides those humongous tomatoes have deep roots that need to be planted still deeper. Still, you have tons of options including:
- carrots (dwarf varieties work best like nantes or ladyfinger)
- cucumbers (mini)
- green onions
- onions (white, yellow, sweet spanish and red onion...my favorite!)
- small varieties of potatoes (try fingerlings)
- snow peas
*If you are growing a salsa or guacamole garden and need a few tomatoes then I suggest you grow a cherry or grape variety that do not need to be planted as deep. My two favorites are super sweet 100 cherry tomato and the sun gold cherry tomato.
- lemon balm
- Attractive assortment of colors including moss-green, white, red, and silver
- Sleek, metal design makes you the envy of the neighborhood
- Rubber leg caps and wheels will prevent the scratching of floor/patio boards.
- Two wooden wheels and a wooden handle mean...you're portable!
- The bottom tray allows you to store your tools, extra plants, gloves and plant markers
- Galvanized and powder coated steel resists rust, withstands frost and high temps
- Planting bin has as central drainage hole that angles inward toward the rubber drain cap/plug
- Bottom tray also has a hole for drainage
- Durable and sturdy steel construction means you'll have many years of enjoyment out of this cart
- Easy to clean and maintain
One Herstera Urban Garden Metal Trolley in the color of your choice valued at $180!
1.) Sign up for Raise Your Garden Newsletter with the green bar at the top of the page
2.) Sign up for Eartheasys' Newsletter
3.) Share this post on Facebook.
Let us know in the comment section what you did to earn extra entries.
Also, please make a separate comment for each entry method.