Why do you want this Water Garden?
- Because you already have a spot picked out for it!
- You love fish and you love plants.
- It looks fantastic ~ a conversation piece that adds ambiance to your space.
- The plants perform stupendously acting as a natural filter.
- Even though the directions weren't stellar, setup was pretty self explanatory.
- It's the easiest plant/pet combo you could ever have. Ideal for beginners.
- The trickling water sound is both relaxing and soothing.
- Because this is the easiest way to delve into aquaponics and ecosystems without much effort.
- Great educational tool for your kids, grandkiddos or any elementary teacher on plant earth.
- 15 minutes for setup.
- Indoor gardening for the winter months minus the dirt!
- Comes with everything you need right in the kit from the seeds, water pump, growstones, gravel, water treatments and fish food.
- You don't have to stick with just the radish sprouts and wheatgrass after the initial trial. Keep reading to see what other plants to can try!
- Eartheasy and our contact Blair have been wonderful to work with over the years! Reliable. Fast. Efficient and pleasant to work with.
- Eartheasy practices what they preach ~ they are easy on the planet and your wallet.
- I'm still an Eartheasy email subscriber after 2 years and enjoy the discounts they send and the product suggestions. They don't "bombard" me either if you know what I mean.
- This is a family-run business. Hardworking people just like you and me. Living on the land has helped this family choose products that the eco-friendly and green gardener in your life will appreciate and actually use.
- Always inspired by their products, it was awesome to see such a simple to use aquaponics system on their site.
- Eartheasy. Great people. Great product. Great price. Great customer service. What more could you want?
- Last time I checked, the product was cheaper on the Eartheasy site than at Home Depot. Yay! But that says a lot about their pricing policies, does it not?
How aquaponics (fish farming) & hydroponics (growing plants in a nutrient-dense water) works in a nutshell
2) In regular aquariums, the nutrient-rich waste builds up and becomes harmful to your fish. In the Water Garden, the plants are continually taking up these nutrients as food to grow, cleaning the water for your fish.
3) The clean filtered water drops back down to your fish, and the cycle continues!
Product F.Y.I. ~ You must know this to be successful!
In order to work most efficiently though, the roots of your plants need to be developed and long enough to filter the water in the grow bed. This is how ours stays so clean. We keep planting seeds of radish and wheatgrass to keep the process going. Our kids trim the plants when they get too tall and scruffy as the plants do grow so fast!
The only problem? Herbs and greens take much longer than wheatgrass and radish sprouts to begin cycling and thus cleaning the tank. So even when you start to experiment with different plant options, it's best to keep 1 or 2 of the 3 pots planted with sprouts or wheatgrass.
Plants to try after the initial setup with radish sprouts & wheatgrass
Herbs & Greens:
flat leaf parsley
Just be aware that most herbs and green will take a lot longer to grow from seed than the super fast growing radish sprouts and wheatgrass. Spritz them a bit with water the first few weeks to help aid root development. Like the dachshund dog, their root legs are too short to hit the water in the grow bed so spritzing them encourages quicker growth!
Light may also be an issue if your Water Garden isn't in a sunny, south-facing window. You might want to boost plant growth by 1000x by using a grow bulb. Very helpful in winter! If you don't have a window and don't want to bother with a grow bulb, then stick with the sprouts and wheatgrass as your easy button.
- One Water Garden (ARV $100) from Eartheasy!
- To enter, like the Raise Your Garden Facebook page and share this post or sign up for our newsletter. For two entries, do both. Let us know that you've entered by telling us the name of one of your pets on the comment section just below. Contest ends February 17th!
- YOU CAN EARN ONE ENTRY PER DAY BY COMMENTING ON ANY OF OUR OTHER POSTS. (Tell us below how many times you've done this to help me out!)
- Official Giveaway Rules