A few insights into Garrett Wade...
- Their website and product lines take me back in time when products were made to last. I want everything they offer because all their products looks like they work well. This cuts my actual working time in half.
- I like tools with staying power. The ones that I buy and use for a lifetime. The ones I don't have to replace each year. I'm sick of repurchasing cheap, ineffective tools. I think this is where Garrett Wade is really special.
- Storage is an issue, right? You don't have room for every gadget out there. Garrett Wade's products are streamlined so that the focus is quality over quantity. Use less tools of higher caliber.
- Finally, I'm a teacher and can tell when someone has done their homework. Garrett Wade has done their research and they only feature high-end, quality products within your budget.
Why is it so great?..... Grandpa's Weeder assists you pulling weeds with no bending, no hand-pulling, and no kneeling. No effort. Easy peasy.
I thought it was kind of funny that I was looking for my new Grandpa's Weeder to pull those darn thistles in the yard because I'm sick of stepping on them, and Tom was already using it! Invented in 1913, the production was halted with the arrival of WWII. Now it's back.....better than ever. Like ice cream sundaes with caramel every Friday night, good tools stand the test of time.
Some online reviews complained the Grandpa's Weeder didn't get 100 percent of the weed root out 100 percent of the time, leaving a trace in the ground. This is true. It's also true that when I hand-pull, I only get all of the weed root out about half the time. The other half, that dang tip of the weed is still in the ground. This causes the weed to flourish bigger and badder than ever. Then I have to dig out it by hand. So you tell which scenario is better? I know my pick!
Insider tool tip: To save money over the long haul, only buy high-quality, durable tools like the kind Garrett Wade offers.
We have 13 trees in our yard. Most of which are older, more seasoned trees that need a little TLC. This means pruning! Honestly, pruning isn't my favorite task but having the right tools for the job does motivate me. The Garrett Wade loppers were smooth to work with and cut branches like a knife to butter. What more could I ask for?
5 reasons to prune trees and shrubs in summer
2.) Summer timing is spot-on for thinning cuts [thinning cuts remove an entire branch or limb all the way to its origin]. The active photosynthesis allows the trees to begin forming a callus over the cut. The well-knit callus tissue that forms a ring around the cut resists the sprouting of new shoots come spring.
3.) The careful gardener is able to prune during the summer months to the effect of mildly stunting or dwarfing their trees. The partial removal of the foliage in summer means fewer leaves to convert sunlight into stored carbohydrates.
4.) The early bird who prunes too early in the season, during spring's burst of vegetative growth may just be stimulating growth kind of like dormant pruning. Summer-prune after the initial flurry of spring growth, as the weekly growth rate slows down.
5.) In cold-winter climates (like mine!) summer prune by the middle of summer because late summer pruning sometimes forces new, thick shoots! These tender shoots don't harden off before freezing weather arrives and can die off.
Pruning 101 tip
-A set of loppers including both the heavy-duty anvil and heavy-duty bypass lopper from Garrett Wade valued at $100.
-One Grandpa's Weeder value at $27.50
- To enter, LIKE Raise Your Garden on Facebook. For a second entry sign up for our newsletter. For extra good luck, share this post and tell me what your summer vacation plans on our Facebook page! For additional entries see below.
- Let us know in the comment section what you've done!!
3.) Sign up for Garrett Wade's Newsletter The email box is at the bottom of their page
4.) Share this post... Easy DIY tomato, cucumber & squash PVC pipe cage
5. Follow Raise Your Garden on Twitter
Let us know in the comment section what you did to earn extra entries.