- one can of silver/metallic Rust-Oleum
- pine cones of various sizes
- A box to spray paint in
- glass containers/glass bowls/display pieces
- one strand of clear lights
- Collect pine cones and clean off the debris on pine cones and place in a box. Don't paint unless bone dry.
- Following the instructions on the Rust-Oleum can, spray paint the pinecones outside or in a well-ventilated area [paint them in a box, it's easier]
- Keep coating and shifting the pine cones in the box until you see no brown and allow pine cones to dry 24 hours before bringing inside. I actually gave my pine cones about 6 light coats of paint.
- Place in vase/punch bowl/candle holder/clear glass container of any sort
How easy is that?
- The Salvation Army or Goodwill stores are the ideal place to acquire glass containers if you don't have any handy or that you like. [Better still, Mom's house just might have what you need: Thanks Mom, I'll return those vases!! Well..maybe)
- Votive holders, punch bowls, vases all work well for a project like this. Any clear glass piece that you enjoy.
- Mixing pine cones of various shapes & sizes adds dimension. Even painting one pine cone in the container red would be nice!
- The cleaner the glass, the nicer the pine cones look in the container. Invisible Glass works best. No streaks. None.
- Don't hesitate to spread your pine cones loose around the house. Scatter around pictures, candles, up on shelves, display racks, mirrors, coffee tables, ledge or any place that needs a little silver bling.
- Sprinkle pine cones on top of the China cabinet, even in the China cabinet, on windowsills or on top of the piano. Use in the kitchen and even scatter around the bathroom.
- Dangle pine cones off a mirror on your chandelier or even up your staircase.
- Use one silver pine cone as a gift topper, especially as a wedding or shower gift topper! [glue on]
A last tip: When you're doing groupings, odd numbers work best. Go with 1, 3, 5, or 7 pine cones, never an even number. Odd number groupings present better. So if you are using the pine cones as a gift topper, for example, string 3 together or just use a single pine cone as shown above.