All too often when people receive flowers they just throw them into some water and then forget about them. It’s important to remember that most of the time flowers are sent with love and they deserve to be cherished. It’s also important to remember that flowers cost money and you want to make sure that the person who sent them does not have their money wasted by you not caring for the flowers as you should. If you take good care of flowers then they will keep your home looking bright and colorful for longer and you will be able to enjoy looking at them for an extended period of time.
There are several tips that many good florists will give you, about how to best care for your flowers. Here is some of the advice that it’s a good idea to follow.
- Aspirin and sugar both work well in helping to extend the life of your flowers if you place them in the water. They have the same type of effect as the contents of the sachet that you often get with a bouquet of flowers.
- The water level in a vase should always be maintained and water should be fully changed every other day.
- Stems should be cut to around 1.5 inches from the bottom. This should be done at an angle and you should be careful not to crush the stem in the process.
- Stems should be re-cut and flower food added each time you change the water in the vase.
- Flowers should always be displayed in an area of your home that is cool and away from direct sunlight.
- Flowers should be kept away from areas of your home that are prone to drafts.
When was the last time you got flowers? Hmmmm. It's been awhile. I usually buy myself a few daffodils for $3 this time of year but haven't yet.