Magnificent. That's all I can say. When we received our platter from Black Canyon Woodworks the presentation was phenomenal. We felt like we were receiving a high-end gift, not just another package from the FedEx man. The pictures speak for themselves. And the product? To say this is a high quality product is a severe understatement. It's unbelievable. How nice too that BCW includes a complimentary bottle of Howard FDA-food grade conditioner. You'll also notice a 20% off coupon for your next purchase. Perfect to use for that wedding, shower and housewarming gift. And as for you realtors, this would make an ideal client gift. It just looks so pretty sitting in the decorative box!
- It’s stunningly gorgeous to look at and so silky smooth. You’ll find yourself running your hands over this board and just staring at it for its artisan beauty. Go ahead. Pinch yourself. You get to keep it!
- Black Canyon Woodworks uses only the finest woods sourced from the Pacific Northwest including solid cherry, walnut, mahogany and maple. Ours is a maple platter with embedded curvy lines of walnut, cherry and mahogany. The stripes go all the way through the platter so the board can be re-sanded and re-oiled to make it look new again. Not to mention giving the platter marvelous visual appeal!
- It’s comes engraved with our last name on both sides of the board. I love this feature! We also put a Bible verse on the back, our families favorite Hebrews 11:1. This was the verse we taped to our daughters crib when she was sick in the hospital for three months at birth. For this reason alone, the board has a lot of sentimental value and will certainly become a treasured family heirloom.
- There is a groove, more like a trench on the perimeter of the board to catch the juice. This is paramount when carving cooked meats like turkey or a roast that are juicy. It prevents leakage all over your countertop. The mess.
- This board is spot on for chopping up fruits and veggies that don't harbor bacteria. I never use mine for raw meat because I don't want bacteria to be an issue.
- Cheese board? Check. Appetizer board? Perfect. Bread display. Ideal. Chip and dip? Stunning. Presentation always counts.
- At over an inch thick, this platter is going new depths. My measurements were 19 inches long and 11.5 inches across until you hit the grooves. The whole platter including the grooves measures 24 inches across and 14 inches across. So yes, it is big and usable!
- This product is such a lovely piece that you'll be hesitant to cut on it. Kitchen art. But you'll do it when you realize just how much your good knives don't like glass or even plastic all that much ~ those materials dull your knives!
- Wood boards are very hard but also quite porous. This means they will absorb everything you put on them including bacteria. Keep in mind that plastic can harbor just as much bacteria as wood and even more so when they get "furry" from lots of usage.
- You will have to oil this board to keep it in good condition. The oil creates a barrier against moisture. It's a cycle. Chop. Clean. Dry. Oil. Repeat. Still, wood boards are your knives best friend! They do not dull the blade.
- Finger-friendly family foods are your guests best friend.
- Toothpicks are awesome. We don't like germy fingers manhandling the plate.
- It's nice to provide a variety of proteins, carbs and just a little bit of sugar for that high!
- Stackable snacks are always a thrill. Think cracker base with a cheddar cheese & pepperoni topper.
- Keeping foods separate will pacify your allergy and/or food sensitive guests. Space out a few bowls on the board or to the side of the board to isolate foods from others thus preventing cross contamination. Strawberries touching the cheese? Not okay for people with dairy allergies. Nuts in particular are an item to isolate.
- Labeling the food using place cards? Even better. Your food sensitive guests will know exactly what they can and can't eat.
- Another reason to use bowls is to keep round foods like blueberries & pomegranates from rolling off the plate.
- These days with so many of us trying to get into shape and eat a whole foods diet, sometimes the most thoughtful gesture of all is to provide lots of healthy options and omit the calorie laden ones altogether.
- When using a wood board, forget using foods that just get too juicy like pineapple and watermelon. A time and a place for everything. Besides, the juice will run into the other foods.
- Make this easy on yourself. It's the holiday season, you are busy! You don't want to be cutting up fresh fruit the morning of. Wash and go produce is your best bet.
- Nix the veggies unless you're providing dip. Think raw broccoli, cauliflower and celery. Ditto on the slimy artisan cheeses. I'm sorry to say it but I rarely see these get eaten. Colored peppers in red, orange and yellow are the exception to the rule.
How to create a kid-friendly ~ all-friendly appetizer board
Fruits & Veggies
One solid wood cutting board, butcher block or platter from Black Canyon Woodworks! Approximate value $200.
Standard sizes below:
- Classic Boards: Nominally 14” x 20” x 1.25"
- Butcher Blocks: Nominally 12” x 12” x 2.5”
- Platters: Nominally 14” x 24” x 1.25” (We have the platter)
- Enter by leaving a comment below telling me what wood board you'd choose from BCW if you win.
- See below for a chance to earn additional entries.
- Official Giveaway Rules
1) Like our Facebook Page.
2-3) For 2 extra entries, invite 3 new Facebook friends to "Like" our Raise Your Garden Page.
4) Become an e-mail subscriber using the green bar at the top of our site.
Already did? Let us know.
5) Like Black Canyon Woodworks on Facebook!
6-7) Comment on our Facebook Page telling us how you'd use this board or your favorite wood. (cherry, maple, mahogany, walnut) Like and Share as well. Click Here.
8) Share this... Storing your dried herbs and other spicy tips
Let us know in the comment section what you did to earn extra entries.