Cease the day!
Why insulate your basement?
Why go with sprayed foam as your insulation...?
After doing his homework, Tom came to the conclusion that sprayed foam was the best insulation for us because it outperforms other types of insulation in damp areas like your basement. And ick, was our basement ever damp! The mold was climbing up the walls in a bad way and it seemed like no matter how much bleach we used, we struggled to contain or control it.
Closed cell spray locks out the water vapor that would try to move from your walls to your finished room. Spray foam will also easily fill in small gaps such as behind your 2 x 4 studs. No cutting required! The only downside is that spray insulation is a little pricey but you will easily make this cost up on your energy bills.
Things to consider before starting your spray foam project....
- Purchase a respirator. This is the only extra item you'll need. Not a bad idea to have one on hand anyhow even when you're just painting.
- Ask yourself. How big is the area you're looking to cover? Each kit tells you the amount that it will cover for 1 inch of foam. Foam it Green also has a square footage calculator right on their site to make it easy as possible.
- How thick should your insulation be? For instance anything more than two inches in a basement is overkill.
- Are you worried about your floor? If so, make sure you use drop cloths near your walls to catch any of the foam that might fall.
- Does your room temperature meet the correct temperature zone? Foam it Green has a patented temperature strip.
Why the Foam It Green spray foam makes Tom blissfully happy...
- Reduces heating and cooling costs with an R-value of 7 in just 1 inch.
- Green Foam means the foam is mixing properly, which takes out the guesswork factor compared to other foam insulation.
- Tom can install it himself quickly and easily.
- No measuring and cutting as with other types of insulation... and no itching that you would have with fiberglass insulation.
- Deters mold and pests. Very important in a basement.
- No moisture barrier required.
- The vast number of positive testimonials.
- 100% made in the USA.
- Great how-to videos and instructions to ensure your success.
- Great customer service. They give you a number with 24/7 support if you have any questions while installing.
- Patented gun makes it possible for anybody to apply the right amount of foam in place. If you can water your garden you can spray this foam!
Pros of buying from Foam it Green....
- Awesome DIY Video's on their site to help you complete the task like a professional.
- 24/7 helpline (which believe me Tom used several times, ha). In the long run... sometimes a 30 second call saved us hours of time. Great investment. And they are available on weekends!
- Delivered right to your door saves you time. You're also not paying for foam you don't need. Who wants to makes a million trips to the store?
- No paying a contractor that you don't want in your home in the first place...isn't that the truth? Some of them are a little scary, know what I mean?
- Work is done in hours, not weeks and precisely to your standards. Tom and I learned a few tricks this time around and think our application could have been done a little smoother but at the end of the day, it functions just the same.
- Contractors use high-pressure rigs which distribute chemicals forcing you to leave your home for up to 72 hours! Foam it Green is a low-pressure spray foam system which means you only need to wear a respirator while spraying and it's dry and safe in one hour!
- Only ASTM g21 anti-microbial formula on the market (this one is big!)